Friday, January 1, 2021

Productivity through cycles of exploration and focus


I'm not a very good swimmer. I don't usually wear goggles, but I don't like getting water in my eyes. When I swim I start by looking around, noticing where obstacles points of interest are, and picking a destination. Then I close my eyes and swim towards that target for a while before stopping and repeating the cycle.

While this is not the most efficient way to swim, it does provide a nice analogy for how to manage a career in a creative field such as science, where you cycle between periods of exploring and learning new ideas and methods (taking a breath and looking around), and exploiting the knowledge you've gained and doggedly pursuing promising research or career directions.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/YouAndYourResearch.html

The scales of the X and Y axis are somewhat arbitrary and may vary greatly between people and fields.  Highly productive people in fast moving fields may complete an entire cycle in as little as a year.



No comments:

Post a Comment